Our Madrichim (guides) program is designed for students in 9th through 12th grade who are interested in assisting in the Religious School on Sunday mornings. The goal of the program is to train future Sunday School teachers by giving them experience and maintaining their interest and involvement at Temple Israel. During the Madrichim orientation, they will learn about our curriculum, appropriate student discipline, and acquire tools for the classroom.
Enjoy being at Temple? Like working with kids or learning more about Jewish education? Want to make a difference? Being a Madrich/a might be perfect for you! Madrichim is the plural of the Hebrew "madrich" (for a male) and "madricha" (for a female) and comes from the word "to lead." Madrichim not only aid teachers in the classroom, but are leaders in our synagogue by being role models. Madrichim emphasize their commitment to their Jewish community through their continued involvement in Temple Israel Religious School and by passing on to younger students what they have learned.
The Madrichim program includes:
- Being enrolled in and participating in your grade in Temple Israel's Religious School.
- Being responsible for working on Sundays from 9:45 a.m. - Noon and/or Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. You will work in a religious school class.
- Assisting the religious school teacher in what needs to get done, in order to help each student have the meaningful and educational experience they need in class.
- Serving as a leading role model/mentor for students.
- The Madrichim program holds monthly training meetings as part of a team that helps to support each other grow as strong individuals.
- Madrichim are compensated for their time in the school. Half of what is earned is kept in a Temple Israel account for use for Temple Israel youth events and trips. The other half is disseminated through the Temple Israel Religious School payroll.Secular school community service hours can be fulfilled through madrichim service in lieu of monetary compensation.
Contact Religious School Director Sharon Comisar-Langdon, 402-556-6536, to discuss the possibilities!